Weinstein pleads ‘not guilty’

Weinstein pleads ‘not guilty’
+100%-

Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to charges of rape and sexual assault in the first cases involving the disgraced producer to be tested in criminal court since scores of accusers emerged last year, his lawyer said.
Weinstein, 66, entered his plea in Manhattan Supreme Court on Tuesday morning after a grand jury indicted him last week in two cases.
Defence attorney Benjamin Brafman confirmed that his client had pleaded not guilty.
“Mr. Weinstein has denied these crimes. He has never engaged in non-consensual sex with anyone,” Mr. Brafman told reporters.
Weinstein turned himself in at a New York police station on May 25, and was taken to court in handcuffs for his initial arraignment. A judge ordered him released on a $1 million cash bail on condition that he surrender his U.S. passport and agree to wear a location-tracking device. He was ordered to remain in New York state or Connecticut.
More than 70 women have accused Weinstein the co-founder of the Miramax film studio and The Weinstein Co, of sexual misconduct, including rape, with some allegations dating back decades, all of which he has denied.
If convicted on the most serious charges, Weinstein could face between five and 25 years in prison.