Kabul, June 5: US forces carried out two sets of airstrikes against the Taliban, in western and southern Afghanistan, a U.S. military spokesman said on Friday.
Elsewhere in the south, the Taliban set off a roadside bomb and ambushed a police convoy, killing 10 Afghan policemen.
The US strikes against the Taliban were the first following a brief cease-fire declared by the insurgents for a major Muslim holiday last month.
A US military spokesman, Colonel Sonny Leggett, said one set of airstrikes took place on Friday afternoon in western Farah province, targeting 25 Taliban fighters who were attacking Afghan forces.
Hours earlier, on Thursday night, the US air forces struck an unknown number of Taliban in southern Kandahar province, he said. There was no immediate comment from the Taliban.
Since the signing of the US-Taliban peace agreement at the end of February, US forces have only once before announced a strike against the Taliban, in defence of Afghan forces. Leggett did not elaborate on the latest airstrikes or their targets. (AP)