WASHINGTON, September 15: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday accused Iran of leading attacks on Saudi oil plants that have cut the kingdom`s output roughly in half, as he ruled out Yemeni involvement and denounced Tehran for engaging in false diplomacy.
Yemen`s Iran-aligned Houthi group claimed credit for the attacks on two plants at the heart of Saudi Arabia`s oil industry, including the world`s biggest petroleum processing facility. Pompeo, however, said on Twitter that there was no evidence the attacks came from Yemen.
“Tehran is behind nearly 100 attacks on Saudi Arabia while Rouhani and Zarif pretend to engage in diplomacy,” Pompeo said, referring to Iran`s President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif.
“Amid all the calls for de-escalation, Iran has now launched an unprecedented attack on the world`s energy supply,” he added. The State Department declined to provide any evidence to bolster Pompeo`s claim.
“We call on all nations to publicly and unequivocally condemn Iran’s attacks,” Pompeo said, warning that the Trump administration would work with its allies to make sure Iran was “held accountable for its aggression.”
The tweets signaled a more hawkish stance in Washington towards Tehran, following signs of a possible thaw in relations between the two nations after months of escalation.
Last year, US President Donald Trump withdrew the United States from a 2015 pact that aimed to keep a lid on Tehran`s nuclear ambitions and he has imposed a series of sanctions that have crippled Iran`s economy. (ZeeNews)