Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Top Stories

Traced contacts testing COVID-19 positive rises to 22% in Nagaland

corona two

18% of positive traced contacts are students

DIMAPUR, SEPTEMBER 26: From 1% in the second week of July, the percentage of traced contacts testing COVID-19 positive in Nagaland has risen to 22% as of this week.
While the positivity rate for the past week remains high at 10%, a matter of great concern is that 33% of positive cases in the past week were from traced contacts. The positivity rate has continuously increased in the last 4-5 weeks.
Data released by the State Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme, Department of Health & Family Welfare in its weekly COVID-19 Bulletin showed out of the total 411 COVID cases reported in the past week, 136 were traced contacts.
distribution by occupationThe bulletin showed positivity among students have been steadily increasing in the past 3-4 weeks, and expressed fear that they could spread infections to the higher risk groups (parents, family members, etc). “Young people under 40 years are more affected and 18% of the positive traced contacts are students,” it said.
As per data, household contacts (34%) and Government employees (30%) together constitute 64% of all traced contacts. Most people were infected within the same household and in work places.
The maximum positive traced contacts are below 40 years of age.
Reason for increase in the number of young adults and students reporting COVID-19 infections in Nagaland in the past few weeks, explained State health authorities, could be due to mobility of young people to their workplaces, friends hanging out in restaurants/close settings with no regard to the 3Ws – Wash Hands, Wear Mask and Watch Distance.
“Complacency appears to have set in after the Unlock-4 with non-adherence to standard safety measures,” it rued.
With 11 deaths due to COVID-19 in the State, the current death rate of 0.19% is lower than that of the country but, health authority feared mortality could be much higher once the virus infects the high-risk groups.
distribution by age copy 1Till now only 0.3% of positive cases are with co-morbidity and only 4% is above 60 years of age. The actual impact on the high-risk groups has not been seen yet, it said.
“The prevalence of hypertension among the general population in Nagaland is 38% and diabetes is 5% as per one ICMR study. About 5.2% of the population is above 60 years of age. There are many other risk factors apart from old age, hypertension and diabetes. Virus spread in the general population could be catastrophic,” it warned.
Out of the total 1083 active cases in the State as on September 25, 98% are asymptomatic, while 4 cases have moderate symptoms and 3 severe cases with 1 patient on ventilator support. Twenty cases have mild symptoms.
Dimapur District currently has the highest number of active cases at 731, followed by Kohima with 309. Kiphire and Longleng currently have no active cases.
(Page News Service)

error: