Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Top Stories

Positive patients in Nagaland are asymptomatic and mild: Minister Kronu

Logo Page

Covid-19 positive cases rises to 49 in Nagaland

Kohima, June 2: Nagaland Minister for Planning and Coordination, Neiba Kronu today asserted that despite the existence of 49 positive COVID-19 cases, things are under control as 33 patients are asymptomatic and 16 are mild cases, while none are in high or moderate category.
During the first official media briefing at Secretariat Conference hall here, Kronu who is also the government spokesperson on COVID-19 Nagaland, said till date a total of 3,157 samples have been tested, of which results of 1,789 samples have been received with 49 positive cases. Results for 1368 samples are awaited.
The positive patients are under treatment in the COVID hospitals and so far they are doing good.
He said that the newly reconstituted Higher Power Committee under chairmanship of Chief Minister Neiphiu and co-chair Deputy Chief Minister Y Patton held video conference with all the Deputy Commissioners, Superintendent of Police and Chief Medical Officers of the districts to know the various issues and challenges faced in the districts in regard to combating the COVID-19 pandemic and also about the quarantine facilities.
He said during the video conferencing, the CM appreciated the efforts of the district task force and requested them to continue making efforts to improve the preparedness and ramp up the quarantine facilities in the districts.
The new SOP on returnees is to strengthen and put a proper system in place, he said adding that the government in the last few days has been concern of the miscommunication and mismanagement handling of the returnees. He asserted that the new HPC will try to address all issues related to COVID-19 under a single window.
On returnees of stranded people from other parts of the country, he said till date, 2695 has returned by train and about 221 by buses. Kronu said one train which started from Rajasthan carrying 17 stranded persons will be reaching Guwahati Wednesday morning from where they will be ferried by bus to Dimapur.
The minister also added that another special train with about 1600 stranded persons will leave Bangalore for Dimapur and expected arrived on June 5.
He also informed that the High Power Committee headed by Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio held a meeting with all DCs, SPs, and CMOs through video conference today.
Kronu also informed that in the first phase of the one-time financial assistance of Rs 10,000 to the stranded citizens of the State declaring to stay back at the current place during the lockdown, the government has extended assistance of Rs 3,93,20,000 to 3932 stranded people.
Advisor for Information Technology, Science & Technology and NRE, Mmhonlumo Kikon, who has also been appointed as the co-spokesperson on COVID-19, said that with the challenges of manpower faced by the State health department, the State cabinet has decided to create more posts of health service providers including doctors and nurses.
He clarified that though there is a ban on post creation in the State, the health department is excluded from its purview.
He said that the new HPC holding meeting with the district task force is an initiative to assessing the problems faced at the grassroots so that better output can be brought about.
On being asked about when the government would bring out further guidelines on lockdown measures, Kikon said that the respective Deputy Commissioner of the districts have to issue their own guidelines as the situation in every district is different.
Replying to a query on contact tracing of persons in close contact with the 49 positive patients, Principal Director of Health and Family Welfare, Dr Vizolie Z Suokhrie said, “The advantage is that these people came together and are quarantined in common place so it has been easy to trace those who have been close in touch with the positive patients”.
All of them have been segregated into high, low and moderate category, said Dr Suokhrie.
On the use of drugs for treatment of positive patients at the COVID-19 hospital following the doubts casted on hydroxychloroquine, the PD said, “There is no definitive treatment of COVID-19 patients, but the good part is most of our patients are in 20-30 years of age without other disease condition and that is the advantage. We don’t simply treat them without proper examination of cases and since the hydroxychloroquine is controversial, the best option is build their morale and also provide regular vitamins”. (Page News Service)

error:
0Shares
0