Last Updated on
The Hon’ble Governor of Nagaland
Raj Bhavan, Kohima.
The Naga Mothers Association places on record our deep gratitude for your initiative in bringing and setting up the COVID 19 Test Labs in the state and the continuing contribution of the Frontline workers,the health professionals,police, district administration, the Chief Secretary and his team of senior government officers, who have been working ceaselessly, throughout this impending crises in the state.
However, today as mothers who have patiently endured, we are constrained to seek your immediate attention and kind intervention into the following concerns:
1. That, the State Government take full responsibility for bringing back our stranded Naga children who are willing to return home and anxiously await arrangements to be brought back.Many do not have the means by now to return on their own expenses and the state cannot fail to fulfill its bounden duty in bearing all expenses for their return. That the state government take into confidence student leaders in different cities for reaching out to those who bravely chose to stay back with adequate help during this COVID 19 crises in the country.
2. That, the NMA unequivocally condemn the shocking threats, violence and harassment on our children aboard the Shramik train yesterday, while crossing the length and breadth of Bihar, not only by unruly mobs, but by uniformed policemen, which is a disgrace. Today, it is most unfortunate another Shramik train has faced the same unruly incidents of threats in Bihar. As per video recordings, these so called special trains sent to the North east region are devoid of any hygienic maintenance, no water on board and possibly some of the worst trains the country has, in this day of superfast trains and best facilities. It is an insult to our people and the North east region. We demand an immediate Inquiry into these incidents of violence in Bihar, reasons for so many unscheduled stoppages on the journey on these Shramik trains, and accountability be fixed for the inability of the local police to control the mobs and joining the harassment on our north east children. We demand that the State Government coordinates and well maintained trains, with adequate food and water, and good security, be scheduled for bringing the rest of our children who are still to undertake these long arduous journeys. Nothing can be so callous, as the experiences of our children, the last few days on such trains, both from the South as well as the North, without water to drink and without wholesome food in the midst of the pandemic stress, trauma and racist attacks. We also urge our children, travelling either on trains or by road, to maintain strict discipline for their own safety and security, while crossing unknown regions.
3.Sir, you will understand the grief of Naga mothers and the patience we have exercised in trying to grapple with the unfortunate deaths of many of our own children, outside their state and homes during the last few weeks. So much time has been wasted because to a large extent, the State Government was not fully prepared for such an emerging pandemic. Precious lives have been lost. We seek your intervention into ensuring that enough funds are allotted to the right authorities, the empowered committee, to handle the return of our stranded children, without any hesitations, because the state has received enough funds. The student union leaders in different cities and officials posted have been the frontline workers and the state must acknowledge their service by making available enough funds, especially for the student leaders to move and help their counterparts in such trying times in the unknown cities.
4. That, the health facilities in all districts, be it District Hospitals ,CHCs, Sub Centres, PHCs must be well equipped, to combat the pandemic and protect the life and health of all citizens. We seek accountability from your State Government on this crucial issue, for the very fact that we are left with disturbing stories of inadequate and inferior quality of PPEs during this crisis of preparedness for COVID 19.Unless accountability on corruption is fixed, we will continue to wallow in these pools of corruption and we must see changes.
5. While acknowledging with gratitude, the spontaneous response and generosity from various Churches and Organisations in sponsoring quarantine centres and food, we urge that the State Government does not ignore its bounden responsibility of providing clean, hygienic Centres and adequate nutritious food to those being kept in all these Institutional Quarantine Centres for the said period.
5.The challenge for the state has begun with the latest positive test reports and we seek your intervention that mandatory testing must be done on all returnees for their own safety and within their communities. That, the thermal screening and police check point, being conducted in plastic shacks be well constructed at Khuzama, with the onslaught of the coming rains. That, the thermal screening and ambulances be kept ready with medical team, at this state border for incoming travellers in case of emergencies. It is for your information, that our neighbouring state of Manipur has a well-constructed shed for both police and medical personnel for screening at the Mao border, with washrooms and running water and two ambulances on standby 24×7.
We are confident that your Esteemed Office will take due cognizance of the issues raised by the Naga Mothers and we continue to pray for the safety of your family, the people and leaders of the state and beyond.
Mrs. Abeiu Meru Dr. Rosemary Dzuvichu
President, NMA Advisor, NMA
* Disclaimer. The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and participants on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the Nagaland Page.