New Market FC breaks 20 years cup drought; lifts 2nd KTC Cup


New Market FC – champions 2nd Kohima Town Club Cup pose for lens at Kohima Local Ground on August 31, 2018.

Kohima, August 31: One of the local favourites, New Market Football Club today broke their 20 years of title drought by lifting the champion’s title of 2nd Kohima Town Club cup at Kohima Local Ground here.
In a closely contested final match, New Market FC defeated reigning champions of just concluded second Kohima Football League – Sechü-Zubza FC by 2-1.
It was in 1998 that New Market FC had won the title during Classic Cup and thereafter it was won several runners-up positions included the first edition of KTC Cup last year.
Sechü-Zubza could have found the lead in the 14th minute but Khiuwangbo Kaurintha’s long range direct free kick went off play sliding the cross bar while New Market also missed an opportunity in the 16th minute as there was none to receive Rhitsho Mero’s cross from the left out inside the six yard zone while within next two minute Mero failed to take advantage of rival custodian Lhusisielie Meyase fumbling with the ball.
Nonetheless, Mero headed an excellent goal in 20th minute off Neiphivilie Seyie’s corner kick.
Thereafter, it was only yellow cards that the match referee had to show against Kekhrieletuo Tsira and Viketuokho Miasalhou of Sechü-Zubza and Keduvikho Mekro and Kethozhapu Meru of New Market FC in 21th, 27th, 30th and 35th minute of play.
Sechü-Zubza missed their opportunity of equalizer as a feeble header from Gideon Leo in 36th minute off Aloumei Panmei’s free kick in 36th minute while two minutes before the half time Lhusisielie fisted a long range target shot from Kethozhapu.
After the lemon break, it was New Market once again pressurizing into the rival zone and succeeded to double the margin as Salu Kulim struck a left footer off Hekato Aye’s long cross.
In the 55th minute, Hanglen Chang failed to find the nets from inside the D’box disappointing the KFL champs. However, they did manage to minimize the margin in 76th minute as Petevizo Kezieo flicked the ball over rival custodian Lhiwete Koza, but they were unable to make any further break and be contended with the second position.
Khiuwangbo of Sechü-Zubza and Rhitsho Mero of New Market were yellow carded for unsporting behavior in the second half.
Winning the championship, New Market FC received cash award of Rs 30,000 with trophy and citation while runners-up Sechü-Zubza got Rs. 20,000 with trophy and citation.
IGAR(N) Maj. Gen. Pradeep C Nair gave away the prizes as the special guest of the valedictory ceremony. (Page News Service)