Sunday, September 26, 2021
Top Stories

MoRTH directs State Govts to remove check posts at State borders

Nagaland News

DIMAPUR, SEPTEMBER 12: The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has directed State Governments to remove check posts at State borders as online data in respect of vehicles and drivers has been strengthened through VAHAN and SARATHI platforms.


According to a recent PTI report, the Ministry has written a letter to the States, informing that after the introduction of GST in July 2017, there is no need to have regular check posts at the State borders.
“…it is therefore requested that the present status regarding removal of check posts at State borders may kindly be intimated to the Ministry at the earliest”, it said.
In March this year, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari had declared that India will do away with toll booths and implement complete GPS-based toll collection within one year.
He said that 93% of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag, but the remaining 7% have still not taken it despite paying a double toll.
“I want to assure the House that within one year all physical toll booths in the country will be removed. It means that toll collection will happen via GPS. The money will be collected based on GPS imaging (on vehicles)”, Gadkari said in the Lok Sabha during Question Hour.
The Minister said that he had instructed police inquiry for those vehicles which do not pay toll using FASTags. There are cases of toll theft and GST evasion cases if FASTags are not fitted in vehicles.
FASTags, which facilitate electronic payment of fee at toll plazas, was introduced in 2016.


From February 16, vehicles without FASTag are required to pay double toll fee at electronic toll plazas across the country.
Making the tags compulsory would also help in ensuring that vehicles pass seamlessly through the toll plazas, as the fee payment would be done electronically.
Gadkari said new vehicles have FasTags fitted in them, while the Government has said it will give free FASTags for old vehicles.
(Page News Service)

error: