Monday, July 15, 2024
Top Stories

More than 10 houses reportedly set in flames in disputed Lamhai Namdi-Kiyevi area

Nagaland News

Section 144 imposed with immediate effect

Dimapur, November 7: More than 10 houses were said to have set in flames on Monday as smouldering tension along the disputed Lamhai Namdi-Kiyevi area found violent expression once again, prompting IRB personnel to resort to firing and civil administration to promulgate prohibitive orders.
However, official sources said that there were no casualties. At the time of filing this report, the number of injuries could not be confirmed. Various accounts put the injury count between 5 and 11.
Heigumchube, the Chairman of Lamhai Namdi Village, where the incident occurred, told Nagaland Page that the number of houses burned down on Monday was more than 10 ~ all in Ward 1 and 2.
“We have five wards. We tried to ascertain the exact number in the afternoon but when we went there, they started firing at us. So, we couldn’t get the exact figure but it is definitely more than 10”, he said.
According to him, personnel of 9th IRB arrived at the village at around 5.30 a.m., in anticipation of the violence. They were later joined by administration officials.
He said that even the villagers had been anticipating the arrival of those from the other side of the border. “We have always said that we cannot leave our village. So, we requested the IRB personnel not to let them burn down our houses”, he said.
The Chairman said that IRB personnel, however, could not control the arrival of the mob because of there were too many of them. Initially, the IRB personnel did not resort to firing because they didn’t get the order.
“It was only later when the mob neared our houses that they received the firing order”, the Chairman said. According to him, the village has around 100 households. “Now, we have different tribes living in our village. We have Ao, Lotha, Angami, Chakhesang, Rongmei, Mao, Yimchunger, Zeliang”, said the Chairman.
Recently, the Western Sumi Youth Front (WSYF) had submitted a representation to Nagaland Government seeking eviction of “villagers of Lamhai Namdi from the village land of Kiyevi” within three weeks. The youth group has repeatedly called out what it says is the State Government’s “inefficiency, if not partiality” towards implementation its own order.
Last year on March 22, a group of unidentified gunmen had killed three persons at the disputed area.
The violent turn of events on Monday prompted the Deputy Commissioner (DC) of Peren as well as the Commissioner of Police (CP), Dimapur, to impose Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) in the disputed area with immediate effect until further order.
DC, Peren, Vineet Kumar, issued an order prohibiting the assembly of more than 5 persons and carrying of any lethal weapons and arms “in the disputed Lamhai Namdi Village and adjoining areas”. In a separate order, he advised all travellers journeying via Molvom-Kiyevi-Mhainamtsi-Peren, Dimapur-Pimla-Peren to practice caution.
CP, Dimapur, Rothihu Tetseo, also prohibited assembly of more than 5 persons and carrying lethal weapons and firearms including lathis, dagger/machete, sticks, spears, catapults or any other dangerous articles in the highway stretch from Vihuto Village-Khehoyi Village-Kiyevi Village area and along the Chümoukedima-Peren border belt. The order will remain in force until further notice.
(Page News Service)

error: