Saturday, June 22, 2024
Top Stories

House gutted at Longchem town

house gutted at Longchem

DIMAPUR, JUNE 22: A house was razed to ashes on Monday morning at Longchem Town, under Mangkolemba Sub-Division, in Mokokchung district.
The house was the residence of Longchem Baptist Church Secretary, Moalong Imchen.


Speaking to Nagaland Page, Moalong said that his mother was gone to the field while he was also away for Church work when the fire broke out.
“All the male members of the small town were engaged in construction of the Pastor’s quarter, which is some distance away. My neighbours were there but they were elderly women and children. We could not salvage anything, not even a nail. Our place is located by the roadside, so we had locked the door”, he said.
The male members became aware of the fire only when they heard the blast of LPG cylinders and saw the mist of dark smoke from a distance.
“We didn’t know whose residence it was but we all rushed towards the fire. When we reached, it turned out to be our place. We are suspecting that the fire broke out from the kitchen because we had kept some pork for smoke-drying. It cannot be due to short-circuit because there was no electricity that the time”, he said.
Moalong, who lives with his mother, is currently sheltered at his neighbour’s place.
“The people here are helping us with rice, clothes and cash. Even the Longchem administration and police have visited, so have various societies. All of them are helping us”, he shared.


“We were lucky that no one was harmed in the incident. We are thankful to God”, he added.
Meanwhile, concerned friends and well-wishers have started a donation drive on social media.
(Page News Service)

error: