Tuesday, August 3, 2021

FA Cup: Birthday boy Mount scores as Chelsea thrash Morecambe

FA Cup 1
Chelsea's Mason Mount in action with Morecambe

LONDON, January 11: Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount scored on his 22nd birthday as Frank Lampard’s side eased to a 4-0 victory over fourth-tier Morecambe in the FA Cup third round on Sunday.

Mount gave Chelsea an early lead at Stamford Bridge with a fierce shot from 25 yards, leaving Morecambe goalkeeper Mark Halstead with no chance.
Chelsea striker Timo Werner scored his first goal in two months with a simple tap-in from Kai Havertz’s knockdown shortly before halftime.
The hosts stepped up their intensity in the second half as Hakim Ziyech threaded a delightful through ball for Callum Hudson-Odoi to score four minutes after the interval.
Havertz added a fourth with a thumping header in the 85th minute as Chelsea claimed their first win in four games in all competitions.
Morecambe had nearly taken a shock lead in the 11th minute when Adam Phillips’s swerving cross almost caught Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga out.
Kepa recovered brilliantly to keep the ball from crossing the line before Chelsea’s attacking quality proved too much for Morecambe, who were playing their first match since Dec. 26.
Making their first third-round appearance since 2003, Morecambe are recovering from a COVID-19 outbreak at the club which forced captain Sam Lavelle to miss the match.
Silva double earns Man City 3-0 FA Cup win over Birmingham
Bernardo Silva scored two goals and Phil Foden another as Manchester City strolled to a 3-0 win at home against second-tier Birmingham City in the third round of the FA Cup on Sunday.
The victory meant City have won each of their last seven FA Cup home games, their best home winning run in the competition in 75 years.
“Our first objective is done. Some young players were involved and we have qualified for the next round,” manager Pep Guardiola said.
“If you follow the trajectory of our team since I arrived, we didn’t drop one game. That’s why we are in a fourth Carabao (League) Cup final in a row, FA Cup we won two seasons ago and a semi-final last season.”
Portuguese midfielder Silva scored his first goal at the Etihad Stadium in over a year when he fired the ball into the top corner in the eighth minute after Birmingham defender George Friend failed to clear.
Silva doubled City’s lead seven minutes later, finishing off a brilliant team move with a simple tap-in. The 26-year-old pounced on a cut-back from Kevin De Bruyne after Riyad Mahrez found the Belgian with a clever pass inside the box.
Foden made it 3-0 before the break with a low strike from outside the box which sailed into the bottom corner after Mahrez set up him.
Mahrez thought he had added City’s fourth around the hour-mark when he slotted in at the back post, but the goal was disallowed after the Algerian was ruled to have been offside. (Reuters)