Thursday, October 29, 2020
Top Stories

COVID-19 shows no sign of abating in Nagaland

covidnagaland

‘Surge in traced contacts testing COVID positive’

DIMAPUR, OCTOBER 3: COVID-19 cases continue to surge in Nagaland with no signs of flattening the curve. The State on Saturday reported 111 new cases taking the case count to 6429.
As on October 2, the monthly positivity rate in the State has increased from 2.6% in May to 11.7% in September.
But how rapidly the situation has worsened is clear from the monthly figures. While the State had reported 43 cases in May, it was 416 in June, which jumped to 1234 in July. In August it climbed to a high of 2257 cases and in September, 2213 cases were reported even with fewer testing.
In August, out of 22,970 samples tested, 2257 positive cases were detected, while in September, out of 18,847 samples tested, 2213 cases were detected.
State Health authorities clarified that the drop in testing rate has partly to do with revision in discharge policy and testing of returnees/travelers, where rational testing based on current scientific evidences, as prescribed by ICMR, has been adopted.
The last 4 weeks saw the maximum surge in new COVID-19 cases in the State since the first 2 week in August.
In the first week of August, 964 cases were reported; and 665 cases the following week. In the last 4 weeks, 529, 411, 411 and 550 cases were reported in the State.
Another worrying statistic is the increasing figure of positive COVID cases among traced contacts. The proportion of positive traced contacts in Nagaland has increased to 23% with household contacts (31%) and Government employees (31%) together constituting 62% of all positive traced contacts.
Armed Forces/Security personnel remains the highest percentage of total confirmed cases in the State at 48%.
Out of 550 cases reported in the past week (September 26 to October 2), 203 cases were from contact tracing.
According to COVID-19 weekly bulletin issued by the State Department of Health & Family Welfare, 71% of all positive traced contacts are below 40 years of age including students (18%).
Most people were infected within the same household and in work places. Implementing safety practices in work places is of top priority, it said.
“What starts in the young doesn’t stay among the young. Many countries reported that young adult infections were followed weeks later by infections in people over 60 years. The sooner we recognize that, the sooner we can move forward safely,” said the bulletin.
Symptomatic confirmed cases have also increased to 3% from 2% last week with one COVID-19 confirmed death this week. Five deaths are under investigation.
The positivity rate for the past week remains high at 12%.
Dimapur (704), Kohima (253) and Mon (76) currently has the highest number of active cases.
Fever (47%) and cough (38%) are the most common reported symptoms among confirmed cases in the State, the bulletin said.
The testing rate stands at 40 per thousand population in the State, while positivity rate and recovery rate is similar to the national data.
As on October 2, only 2 districts in the State – Kiphire and Peren – have zero active cases.
(Page News Service)