Kohima, August 6: There will be no entry of Security Forces personnel into Nagaland from outside the State till September this year. The decision was taken due to surge of novel coronavirus among Armed Forces in the State.
With the Armed Forces accounting for over 40% of COVID-19 cases in Nagaland, the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in the State has been largely attributed to rise in the number of cases among army and para-military forces, whose movements appears not to be regulated.
As on Thursday (August 6), out of the 2580 COVID-19 positive cases in Nagaland, 1,117 cases are from the para military/military; 1,048 cases from returnees; 182 cases from frontline workers; 180 cases are of traced contacts and 53 cases are others.
In view of a large number of their personnel testing COVID positive, the para military forces in Nagaland have now decided, as a precautionary measure, to reschedule the induction of their personnel from outside the State, informed State Principal Home Secretary, Abhijit Sinha IAS in his daily briefing.
All the positive cases from the Armed Forces are being treated at their respective unit hospitals.
Sources said the Inspector General of Assam Rifles (North), BSF and CRPF had earlier conveyed their decision to regulate movement of their troops to the State Government.
Further, sources said security commanders have decided not to allow returnees to come to the State till September this year. This will mean security personnel who are on leave will be extended till September.
Meghalaya has already regulated movement of security personnel, while Mizoram has banned movement of troops. (Page News Service)