Saturday, March 6, 2021

Conflicting reports on migrant labourer who tested positive in Assam

Dimapur, June 5: Conflicting reports have emerged after a migrant labourer tested positive in Assam after he had travelled from Nagaland to his native village.
While initial reports in the media suggested that he had reached Assam from Nagaland on May 26 and was tested Covid-19 positive on June 2 last, it was learnt that he had actually travelled from Dimapur to Bokajan and then to his native village on May 19 last after obtaining a medical fitness certificate at DDSC Stadium on May 13.
A native of Jamlai Rapahara, Nagerbera in Assam’s Kamrup district, the labourer is presently undergoing treatment at MMCH and said to be stable.
Interacting with Nagaland Page over phone, he disclosed that he had gone to Kohima as a labourer for a construction site some 5 to 6 months back. He said many workers left for home during the lockdown period but he stayed back and somehow travelled to Dimapur last month. He disclosed that he was staying in Burma Camp slum area till May 19.
The migrant labourer that he decided to travel to his native village and so on May 13 he went to DDSC stadium, Dimapur where the District Medical officials issued him a medical fitness certificate after thermal screening, enabling him to travel to Assam.
He said due to unavailability of bus from Bokajan area he had to stay back and only on May 18 he crossed the New Field Check gate and only the next day he was able to start his journey home.
He said from Bokajan he started his journey on May 19 and reached his village the next day.
When questioned further about his location after crossing the border on May 18, he said since he was not able to board a bus, he came back to Burma Camp, slept the night on road side and the next morning he left Dimapur and boarded the bus around 11.30 a.m. from Bokajan area.
He also disclosed that on the way, he had to undergo thermal screening at many places and the final test was by the Rapahara Police before reaching his village.
He said after few days, medical officials came to his village and took the swab test
“I was escorted by police and medical officials when I was confirmed positive and since then I am undergoing treatment here”, he said.
He voluntarily said, “My only mistake that I was found doing agricultural cultivation which is against the home quarantine rules and I feel bad of it but I have maintained safe distance even from my family.”
He said, “I have no family in Nagaland and do not know anyone and I can’t speak Nagamese but I have understood the danger of corona virus staying there.”
He also said that his family also has undergone tests.
Meanwhile, sources said that he might have been infected with the virus during his stay in Assam. (Page News Service)