PARIS, November 16: Aryna Sabalenka returned to the WTA’s top 10 on Monday at the expense of Serena Williams after the Belarusian captured her eighth career title in Linz at the weekend.
The 22-year-old Sabalenka finished the season in style with a straight-sets victory over her doubles partner Elise Mertens in Sunday’s final in Austria.
She traded places with Williams, who dropped one spot to 11th and hasn’t played since pulling out of the French Open with an Achilles injury.
Ashleigh Barty remains clear at the top despite skipping both the US and French Opens following the season’s resumption after the coronavirus shutdown. Her last match was at the Qatar Open in February.
Belgian Mertens moved up one place to 20th, climbing above last year’s Roland
Garros runner-up Marketa Vondrousova. (PTI)
WTA top 20:
- Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 8,717 pts
- Simona Halep (ROU) 7,255
- Naomi Osaka (JPN) 5,780
- Sofia Kenin (USA) 5,760
- Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,260
- Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 5,205
- Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 4,555
- Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4,516
- Kiki Bertens (NED) 4,505
- Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) 4,220 (+1)
- Serena Williams (USA) 4,080 (-1)
- Belinda Bencic (SUI) 4,010
- Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 3,426
- Johanna Konta (GBR) 3,152
- Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 3,016
- Madison Keys (USA) 2,962
- Iga Swiatek (POL) 2,960
- Petra Martic (CRO) 2,850
- Elena Rybakina (KAZ) 2,696
- Elise Mertens (BEL) 2,650 (+1)