Thursday, April 15, 2021

19th NSF Martyrs’ Memorial Trophy

Custodian Medophrezo takes 10 men Meriema VYO to final

Custodian Medophrezo
Players of Meriema VYO and Tribal Brothers FC in action during the first semi-final match on October 17, 2018.

Kohima, October 17: Meriema Village Youth Organisation today came from behind as custodian Medophrezo Kezie-o saved two penalty shots to book their final berth of the 19th NSF Martyrs’ Memorial Trophy organized by Angami Students’ Union at Kohima Local Ground here.
MVYO defeated strong contenders Tribal Brothers Football Club by 4-3 via tie-breaker as the teams were locked to 3-3 goal each during the 120 minutes, including the 30 minutes extra time of play.
The confident Tribal Brothers could have had an early lead within the fourth minute but Shürhosül Zhotso and Aloumei, despite being unmarked inside the box, failed to materialize a long cross from Laiwang.
Nonetheless, in the 19th minute Aloumei neatly flicked a free kick from Sohiampou to find the back of the net for first lead. In an exciting moment in the 37th minute MVYO could have found the equalizer but Keneisezo Keditsu’s shot was swiftly saved by custodian Eshong to the first half.
After the lemon break, an excellent header by Laiwang off Shürhosül cross pierced into the rival net to double the score. However, it was in the 67th minute that MVYO returned to the game as Vikeduolie Lhousi making solo effort from the right out surpassed the defence line and crossed the ball towards Kekhriengulie Üsou, who didn’t make any mistake in striking the ball to the target beating Eshong for their first goal. Four minutes later failure of custodian Eshong to intercept a long cross was headed into the nets for the much needed MVYO equalizer by Kevingulie Ciesotsu.
Buoyed with the equalizer, MVYO almost found their lead in the 83rd minute as Kevizhakie Ciesotsu header off Khrieneituo Kezie-o corner was directed towards the net but Ezhong was alert enough to take hold of it.
In an unfortunate turn of event during the injury added time of the second half, MVYO defender Keneingutuo Yaotsu was sent off the field as referee penalized him with the second yellow card for consuming time while taking the throw in. He had been cautioned earlier in the 26th minute for unsporting behavior.
Moving into the extra time with the teams locked in 2-2 draw during the 90 minute play, MVYO through playing with 10 men continued to make decisive move and were successful in scoring the lead in 113th minute through playmaker Vikedouolie, who was also yellow carded for taking off his jersey in excitement. Nonetheless, Tribal Brothers managed to find the equalizer through Shürhosül’s header off Sanyem cross just couple of minute before the final whistle.
In the penalty shootout, MVYO managed to convert four out of the five shots while their custodian Medophrezo blocked two shots of Tribal Brothers taken by Sanyem and Sinlo to place his team in the final of the students’ memorial trophy for the first time.
Nagaland Commissioner, M Patton was the match patron for today.
(Page News Service)
2nd SF Match on Oct 18:
Senapati FC Manipur vs Centurion FC at1:30 p.m.